Friday, December 26, 2014

"Cleanse Me." Rinse, and "repeat the sounding joy"

I have a handful of paintings in the works but I have only finished one so far this year. Just like I had ambitions of finishing this post on Christmas, life and my children have other priorities. Sometimes prioritization makes for procrastination, and perfect timing. The point is that I completed a painting. The concept began as a sketch and took form during a art break out session at a Shattered Magazine event I went to this past fall called Let's Get Real.

The painting is entitled "Cleanse Me" and began under the premise of "Shame Shower." I wanted to depict the desire to rid myself from sin, wrongdoing, shame, and weakness. I also wanted to highlight the negative propensity that I myself, and many others have to wallow in their shame, and pour on the self degradation after back-sliding into the frailties of worldly humanity. Yet, I wanted the power of cleansing, and return from the lowest depths of the pit of hell, to be visible. I wanted the heaviness to be lifted and the redemption of mind-body-spirit available through the grace of Jesus Christ to be evident and obvious. 

The view is an aerial on-look from the top of a shower. The drain is symbolic of the pits of hell, and the washing descends and spirals down into it. The streams of water represent the cleansing power of repentance. The bubbles which ascend upwards from the drain are the outcome from the cleansing process. I cut phrases from an old hymn book and compiled them into four stanzas from the four corners in order to position them as literal "streams of mercy."

From left to right they read: 

"Cleanse Me
here's my heart, O take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts a-bove
Search me, O God and know my heart today
I praise Thee Lord, for cleansing me from sin
Streams of mercy"

"Come, Thou Fount
Jesus sought me when a stranger, Wandering from the fold of God;
I now surrender, Lord in me abide."

"I'm standing on the promises of God.
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free. 
start the work in me." 

"There's a God Somewhere
Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Fill me with fire, where once burned with shame." 

I share this now in conjunction with phrases which have occupied my mind and meditated upon my spirit this Christmas season. At the beginning of December I listened to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints First Presidency's Christmas Devotional. Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles shared this concept on Christs descending and ascending of all things. All things, for you, for me, for all. 

"It was essential that the Son of God be born in the flesh and descend below all things7 that He might “redeem all things.”8 Paul spoke of it as Jesus having “descended first into the lower parts of the earth … that he might [fulfill] all things.”9 Then, “when he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive.”10 In latter-day revelation we read that “he that ascended up on high, [is] also he [that] descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth; which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ.”11 "The Condescenion of God and of Man"

After hearing this talk I contemplated the message and looked up the references. I drew the  symbolism from the passages back to my painting. One by David in Psalms was particularly complimentary.

"Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the Lord God might dwell among them." Psalms 68:18
"Cleanse Me", Janelle Jensen Fritz, 2014, Acrylics on Canvas, mixed media

I added a contrasting piece to my nativity this year to highlight this concept for myself. A black ceramic Mary, Joseph, and Christ child to represent the descending below of all things juxtaposed across from the white modern lined nativity I obtained as a newlywed.

This teaching of the Lord descending to the "lowest parts of the earth", even the very pits of hell, and then ascending out of them, is an aspect of  the Lords mission that I do not fully grasp, but that I have experienced grace and mercy from. He has elevated me from depths where I couldn't see which way was up. He has led me forward and upward from the darkness of rock bottom. He has done this for each of us, but can only assist us in ascending from these dark parts of self if we acknowledge his role as our Savior and guide. Just as the witnesses to his birth, the humble shepherds, and the wealthy wise men, needed to make the choice to come and see him, we too are given the choice to worship. I have chosen both wayward and wonder in my life. Disregard, distrust, and dismissal of his divinity. As well as asking, seeking, and finding the light and ascending hope which can elevate and rise from the very depths of shame and despair through his deity. As in the painting of the bubbles rising from the drain. He continues to "repeat the sounding joy" of this miracle as in the song "Joy to the World." Rinse, and repeat the sounding joy. Each repetition demonstrating a further familiarity with the scripture "line upon line, precept upon precept."  "Cleanse Me" with "streams of mercy." It is a miracle of the ages. For all.


No comments:

Post a Comment